Twenty Five

'I can't believe it,' I said. 'And that bruise the other day?'

Lisa grimaced. 'He doesn't mean it.'

'Mike?' I couldn't believe it. But nothing bothered Mike, not ever. I shook my head. The entire picture I'd slowly compiled of my friend over the last nine years - through High School and into real life, shook, crumbled, cavorted and spun on its axis. Did I know him at all?

Lisa stood, probably misinterpreting my silent mental gyrations for lack of interest. 'This was a mistake. I'll go.'

I caught her arm and spun her around. 'You can't let this go on.' There was something about my voice I didn't recognise. Lisa looked up at me, searching my face. I had never been comfortable with scrutiny, but at that moment, I had nothing to hide.

She melted into me and I held her tight. 'I don't know what to do,' she said, her words muffled through my shoulder.

I gently pried her head up so that I could look at her. My fingers lightly traced the edge of her bruise, before sweeping back through her hair. 'You let me help you,' I whispered in a husked voice, choked by emotion that I didn't know I possessed.

She smiled weakly, a tear streaking her face and she hugged me tightly. Seconds later, I don't remember how, our lips were as locked as our bodies. There was no turning back for me now.


Twenty Six


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home