Fifty Five

So Kevin was sly, and adept at escaping from his wife. Oh I could see his tongue hanging out for Lisa, but he didn't really strike me as the bacon boy christener. I still needed to talk to Nina and find out who she had told about our... relationship. Sheez, that still sounded weird, even to me.

But first I had to deal with her mother, Rachael.

She swanned along her mezzanine, her hand draped over the ballastrade and her dress billowing behind. She averted her eyes from us as she glided down the curved staircase and her eyes didn't flicker into in my direction until she stopped barely a foot in front of me.

When she did look at me I wished she hadn't. I'd seen friendlier eyes in the skulls of eagles.

This was going to be tough.

She arched an eyebrow and shifted her hunter's gaze to Nina, no doubt for an explanation of the offending baggage in her mansion foyer. I suddenly sympathised with Kevin's plight.

To her great credit, Nina didn't flinch. I guess she'd had years to get used to her mother's withering stare. "Mother, this is Des, my boyfriend."

I crossed my legs, just in case - awkward to do while standing - but less awkward than a potential spillage.

"Really," she replied in a bored tone.

I swallowed and thought I'd give it a spin. I stuck my hand out confidently. "Hello, Mrs..." Shyte! I didn't even know Nina's last name! "...er...Mrs..."

"Bakon," whispered Nina.

"Bacon!?" I exclaimed.

"Back-on," corrected Rachael. Her eyes narrowed. "Well I can see you know each other intimately."

Damn it. My face reddened.

"Where's your father, Nina?"

Nina shuffled her feet. "He had an appointment."

"Of course he did. And your brother?"

Her brother. Bakon... bacon. Surely it was too much of a coincidence...

"I don't know," replied Nina, throwing me a stare to rival her mother's.

Mrs Bakon huffed slightly. "Come with me." She stalked toward a large carpeted area underneath the mezzanine.

Nina followed a few paces behind.

I was lost in thought. Nina's brother. It fitted. He might be over protective knowing what happened to Nina last time she had a boyfriend. She could have followed Nina to find out where I lived...

"Both of you," snapped Mrs Bakon.

"Oh, yes... sorry." I followed Nina wondering exactly how Mrs Bakon was going to run me off.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Des is back! :) The tension is killing me. I'm desperate to know what happens next...so, I'll be back.

March 16, 2005 8:48 pm  
Blogger Terrence said...

Your doing a great job with Des, even after your break you've grabbed me right back into the story. Great Job.

Terry

March 16, 2005 10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home