Fifty Six

I don't know what you'd call the area. The kitchen family and dining room sprawled beyond the carpeted zone where we sat on opposing leather couches. It was bright and airy courtesy of huge windows in each room that allowed a view of the kidney shaped pool, the spa and a palm garden. I guessed this was a "greeting area" where they could seat guests they really didn't want in their house.

Mrs Bakon sat on the edge of her sofa, facing Nina and I. She took considerable time arranging the folds of her dress before looking to me.

I did my best to smile.

She didn't. Instead, she placed her hands precisely in her lap and leant a little forward to accentuate her hawkish stare. "Tell me about yourself, Des."

Now that's just an unfair question. I hate it. Even in job interviews I never know what to say. I mean I can't honestly say what I'm like, can I? I shuffled uncomfortably. I didn't want to start with my job. "Well... I grew up locally."

"Oh, so you went to City Boy's Grammar?"

"Er. No. I went to the State High School."

Mrs Bakon's face remained completely immobilised except for a rapid blink. "Quite," she said.

I eased out a breath. "My Dad was an engineer."

She nodded, at least that seemed acceptable. "And your mother ran the home?"

"Um, yes. She also worked at the council."

Mrs Bakon swallowed. "I see. Sounds very middle class."

I shrugged. We lived where we lived. We did what we did. For some odd reason I felt pretty mellow about that. I expected a one liner to pop into my head, but it didn't. Maybe that meant I was comfortable with one part of my life. I didn't need to defend it.

Mrs Bakon unnecessarily straightened her dress again and shot a glance at Nina.

Nina took my hand. "Des has been very kind to me, mother. He listened to my problems, he cares about his friends and he tries to help them when they're in trouble. He works hard and he's very creative. He makes me laugh and I really like him."

I figured it was a pre-emptive strike, but I gawked at her all the same. That almost none of it was true didn't matter. That she believed it, well, it blew me away. I would have done something, I dunno, hugged her maybe. But Mrs B wasn't really conducive to sharing. I squeezed Nina's hand instead. She returned it while maintaining her hold on her mother's gaze.

Mrs B unleashed my final sentence without a word. She used a far more insidious device than language: the obviously fake smile. We all fake smile sometimes, but the obviously fake smile says - I hate you so mcuh I'm going to throw you a smile you know is fake - so that you know I can't even be bothered to fake pleasantness in your presence.

Now the heat started to fire in my belly. Nina believed in me, she at least should have the decency to consider her daughter's judgement.

Mrs B spoke first. "Des. I'm sure a nice young man, but-"

The front door burst open. "Some freakin' loser has parked a shit heap across the drive! I almost freakin' hit it!" I caught bedhead blonde hair, an arm tattoo, ripped t-shirt and whoever it was clutched what could have been a Playstation steering wheel and pedals. He slammed the door behind him. He didn't seem to be addressing anyone in particular and was startled when Mrs B replied.

"Nathan! Have you been out all night?!"

He fumbled his steering wheel but recovered quickly. "So," he replied taking us in. "Rich's place is networked, not like this dogbox."

I nodded. A richboy gamehead. Hello Nina's brother.

"We-will-talk-about-this-later," said Mrs B. I could almost here her teeth grinding.

"What-ev-er," he replied, showing off his tongue stud. His gaze flickered from his mother to Nina and then to me.

Nina dropped my hand, but it was too late, Nathan had seen it. He pointed at me, a greasy smirk covering his face. "No way."

I stood up. Mrs Bakon had already fired my blood and geek boy was increasing the flowrate.

"You must be sweet Dessy."

I frowned. "I'm the pleb with the heap outside."

He stared at Nina and clutched his steering wheel to his chest. "Oh sweet Dessy. How I love you so."

"Shut up Nathan!" screamed Nina.

"Why? Doesn't Dessy know?"

"Nathan," said Mrs B, also getting to her feet.

He pointed at Nina. "I've heard you sissy. Didn't think I'd hear through the wall? Oh Dessy will be mine..." He stopped his swinging around pointed at me again. "Have you done her yet?"

"What!?"

"You better not. She's my sister."

"Nathan!" shouted Mrs B.

Nina shreiked. "I will rip your arms freakin' off and shove them down your throat!"

Everyone fell silent and stared at her.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, what a family.

March 18, 2005 9:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home